Tuesday, February 19, 2008

A Closer Look at Our Winner!

Jennifer Summer Photography is proud to present featured artist and contest winner, Huguette Ampudia! Below is an interview with this talented young woman and some examples of her work. Today is also her birthday! Enjoy!




When did you start taking photos?

I started taking photos when I was very little. I can remember having a Polaroid when I was like, twelve, but I got my first reflex camera as a high school graduation gift from my father, a EOS 100, and since then I'm the one that always takes photos of every party or trip. But
I really understood what it was about in college where I took a course and developed photos in the dark room. I could spend hours there. I used to carry
only black and white film.


What is your biggest inspiration?


My biggest inspiration is life. I started to work as a photographer because I was
depressed and didn't have anything clear; everything was messed up. I had received a BA in communication, and then a Masters, but I didn't have any passion for anything. I couldn't find a job;that whole 9 to 6 thing was just so boring for me. So, one day, I had to make a decision. I had to start something, to have a project or a plan, or my shrink was going to start giving me anti-depressants, so I printed some photos and realized that I was good at that, and that I was going to work as a photographer. And, in a lot of ways, it was like having another chance to start from scratch, so I did. I have to thank Pilar, my shrink, for giving me that big push. I needed it, and it worked.


What equipment do you use?


I have a Canon 20 D. I had it for like, three years. But now I also own a 5D, a recent birthday gift from my father. The lenses I have are the 28-105 mm, a 28-200 mm, 85 mm 1.8, a 50 mm 1.8, and the latest acquisition: a 20-35 mm 3.5.
I also have a Digital PowerLight (studio flash) with the remote control, and I use it with a silver or white umbrella. All my work flow is based in Aperture, so you can imagine I'm a Mac person.




Your favorite lens and why?

I have two favorites: my 50 mm, because it is so luminous; I can have great bokeh and
it's great for portraits, with natural or studio lights. And the newbie, 20-35 mm, because I do a lot of architecture and interior design shoots, and I need perspectives and wide angles. I know is not close to be a fish eye, but it's very useful for that type of work.


What are your goals for the future?

The immediate one: get a fish eye, hehe. I want my business to be consolidated, which would mean having my studio, more studio lights, and more equipment, and I want it all to be sustainable. With that, I wish to be known as a damn good photographer; the best in this 25 million people town, in both portrait and architecture, having a lot of work and always learning new stuff, making different things, and growing. I also wish I will have the opportunity to have an exposition, but I wish to have a concept for it; not just a bunch of good/nice pictures, but a unity of photos, that all together tell something the same as each photo, and until today, I haven't had that idea,. It has to be something deep, meaningful and of course, sustainable.




Where can we find you on the web?


H. Ampuida Photography

I'm sorry the page is in Spanish, but if someone wants a translation, just tell me!


Be sure to visit Huguette's Flickr page as well!

6 comments:

Rachel Schell said...

Congrats Huguette!!! You are a wonderful photographer!

Richard Horsfield said...

Congratulations to you. Wonderful images, well done.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Richard Horsfield said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.